Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mondays in our home

Life with 5 children is not boring!  Just a quick note for those followers that aren't on facebook...

Quick background.  We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel.  We started the remodel by getting a new range and oven.  Then we decided to adopt and stopped working on the kitchen.  So, we use our double ovens as storage since they don't work well and I lost all my storage when we put in the new range.  Ok, so the rest of the story...

My 9 year old daughter, C, cleaned out the microwave oven yesterday (as she does every Tuesday because it's her Tuesday chore).  She left the chair in front of it.  My almost 2 year old son, H, got up on the chair and was playing with the knobs of the oven.  C told him to get down and she put away the chair.  About 10 minutes later thick black smoke was pouring out of the oven!  I opened the oven and remembered that we store a plastic cutting board above the heating element.  H had turned on the broiler.  So, it not only melted the cutting board, but at this point had caught on fire!  I grabbed the fire extinguisher, but couldn't figure out how to use it.  Erin came in, he had been upstairs getting ready for work, and took over that part.  I herded the children outside. 

What my oven looks like after a fire and fire extinguisher got done with it.
We got the fire out, but the house was toxic!  So, covering our faces we opened all the windows, grabbed what school was close, the diaper bag and my knitting.  I know the knitting wasn't essential, but I didn't want the wool to get smelly.  I did find it interesting that when the house was filled with smoke, my knitting was the first thing I thought about.  Um.  Then we left and spent the day at grandma's house.

Although I had tons of things to do at home, it was a nice time to rest.  I didn't worry about the paperwork that needs to be done.  I just enjoyed not having to do it and cable TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving comments! They mean so much to us.