Quick background. We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel. We started the remodel by getting a new range and oven. Then we decided to adopt and stopped working on the kitchen. So, we use our double ovens as storage since they don't work well and I lost all my storage when we put in the new range. Ok, so the rest of the story...
My 9 year old daughter, C, cleaned out the microwave oven yesterday (as she does every Tuesday because it's her Tuesday chore). She left the chair in front of it. My almost 2 year old son, H, got up on the chair and was playing with the knobs of the oven. C told him to get down and she put away the chair. About 10 minutes later thick black smoke was pouring out of the oven! I opened the oven and remembered that we store a plastic cutting board above the heating element. H had turned on the broiler. So, it not only melted the cutting board, but at this point had caught on fire! I grabbed the fire extinguisher, but couldn't figure out how to use it. Erin came in, he had been upstairs getting ready for work, and took over that part. I herded the children outside.
|What my oven looks like after a fire and fire extinguisher got done with it.|
Although I had tons of things to do at home, it was a nice time to rest. I didn't worry about the paperwork that needs to be done. I just enjoyed not having to do it and cable TV.