Tuesday, October 12, 2010


This morning, my beloved 37th birthday, we left early to make it to the Immigration office for our fingerprints.  I almost had a panic attack at how late we were.  We only got there 5 minutes early!  I like to be 20-30 minutes early to important appointments like this.  But, traffic was slow.

There was a line of people waiting at the door.  We were to only ones there who spoke English as a first language.  We were only in line for about 5 minutes before they came out and told us to have our appointment form and a picture id.  Then we were asked to completely turn off our cell phones and throw away any cups or food.  We were handed a clipboard and another form to fill out.  We filled it out as we stood in another line.  When we got to the front, the women behind the desk looked at the 2 forms and then asked to see our hands.  They looked quickly and then sent us to wait in the waiting room.  When our number was called we got our picture taken and our fingerprints done.  We were done in less than 30 minutes!

I also had to re-re-re-redo a form for the dossier.  Yes, you read that right.  I have redone it 4 times.  This time the doctor signed it in black ink and it must be signed in blue ink.  I know, I know.  These are the hoops.  So, this morning after the fingerprint appointment I bought a dozen donuts and went back into the doctor's office.  I'm not kidding you, when I walked in they all looked a little scared.  I showed my peace offering and explained the form, again.  The office manager offered to get it done right then and there!  She even made an extra copy, just in case ya know.  It looked good to me.  I just have to re-re-notarized it.  Then the paperwork for the dossier is done. 

I will fax the dossier to Eastern Europe to be fact checked while we are waiting on the immigration permission.  This way if we need to redo a form we will know BEFORE it's submitted to the foreign government.

It's going to be hard to mail the dossier.  It's about an inch thick.  Right now it IS Alice to me. It is all the hard work we've put into adopting her in the past 2 months.  I don't like the idea of letting it out of my sight.  But, if I don't mail it, I'm holding on to a sad substitute.  It may seem like it's Alice, but it's not.  I can hold the paperwork, but it's still just paperwork.  She's real.  And she's waiting for me.


  1. We fedEx-ed our dossier. It can then be insured and tracked...and it is FUN to keep tabs on it on-line at fedex.com to see where it is throughout the "journey" to Ukraine.

  2. You have the right perspective...you're doing great!!! Every hoop you jump through is one step closer even though it just feels like you're going in circles sometimes. It always felt so good to sent things off....even if unknowingly I may not have done some parts right at least I did all I possibly could and then it was up to someone else to do some work on it. Other than a couple things it was always work that was rewarded. You are hurrying at a dizzying pace but it's because you're going to get Alice soon! When she's been home with you for a couple months you will look at her and think "all that work was NOTHING compared to the blessing of having you in our family!". Don't grow weary in doing good...this is God's work you're doing!!

  3. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9

  4. You are bringing back so many memories, and they are not all good! :-)

    But in the end, it will all be worth it. You know that.

  5. YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another step closer to getting Alice Faith. Oh! I can't wait to meet her. :-)


Thank you for leaving comments! They mean so much to us.