Monday, October 1, 2012

Three years ago today...


Three years ago today a woman I have never met gave birth to a baby girl.  In God's providence this baby girl had Down Syndrome.  Because of this the baby girl was left at the hospital to be given to an orphanage.  That woman never saw that baby girl again.

Two years ago today a family held a garage sale to raise money to adopt that little girl.  I bought a birthday gift for this baby girl that I had never met.  We worked hard that day.  We showed her picture and told her story to every customer that walked up our drive way.

One year ago tomorrow we held that beautiful baby girl in front of our church family and promised to raise her in the fear and admonition of the Lord.  I remembered all we had done to get her.  I felt so much love from our church family and our family standing with us that day.  They had all given so much.  They, too, had loved her from when she was nothing more than a picture.  They had loved me when the times were hard.  I felt so loved and was humbled that they had helped us adopt this wonderful little girl.

This morning I held that beautiful baby girl.  I kissed her good morning. I sang Happy Birthday to her.  I fed her birthday waffles.  She has taught me so much.  She has taught me lessons about myself, about others.  I had no idea I had so much to learn!

I was given a gift three years ago today.  Thank you, unknown woman.  Thank you for walking away.  Thank you for choosing life for this little girl with Down Syndrome.

Happy Birthday, Alice Faith.  You are so wonderful.  You are so smart and funny.  You make me laugh everyday.  My pride in you cannot be measured.  The Lord is using you in ways I can't even fathom.  I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving comments! They mean so much to us.