Friday, August 19, 2011

All Done!

Miss Alice had her surgery yesterday.  She was a champ!  We arrived at the hospital at 6:15, just like we were told.  And we waited for an hour to have our pre-op interview.

Playing while waiting, waiting, waiting...

They asked the same questions as the other day.  Then we went in another room.  And they asked the same questions as the other day.

In "holding" waiting, waiting, waiting...
Her hospital gown.  It also had shorts.  I'm thinking when she's 8 she should fit into it!
Then we went into "holding."  We were "held" for another hour.  She fell asleep.  I almost finished the book I was reading.  Erin read a good chunk of his.

They finally came and got her to take her back for surgery.  I hurried to find food.  I was HUNGRY!  A fruit bowl and rice crispy treat later (breakfast of champions, I tell ya!) I hurried back for Erin to have a turn.  Almost as soon as he left, they called me up to the front.  They were done!  I called him on the phone and he rushed back.

When I got to her side 3 nurses where standing over her.  I was afraid something was wrong.  Nope, they all thought she was SO cute.  One of them asked if they could take her home.  I smiled and said something cute, I think.  I just wanted to hold my baby.  She was awake and chewing on everything.

They taped her eyes down.  That's why they look bruised.
They let me give her a bottle.  She was hungry too!

The doctor came by to talk to us about how the surgery went.

She said...there was NO fluid behind her left ear and only a little bit behind her right ear.  I just sat there, stunned.  Why did we do this, then? I thought.  Why did we subject her to surgery for nothing? I thought.

Good thing Erin was there, because I had stopped listening to her.  But she went on to say that now when she fails her next hearing test we'll know for sure that it isn't because of fluids.  The only way to know for sure was this surgery.

I don't know how I feel about it all still.  It seems rather extreme.  But, I'm trying not to focus on that and let time tell.

She came home super hyper.  She didn't stop moving all day!  But, she is doing really great.  Like nothing happened.

Thank you for prayers and kind words.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how Alice melts my heart...those pictures of her in the little yellow gown (you holding her arms up and the one of her sleeping in her daddy's arm) are adorable!! So glad the surgery is over and done with...can't wait to find out how her next hearing test goes! Whatever you find out, it's wonderful to know that she is loved and taken care in your family : )


Thank you for leaving comments! They mean so much to us.